Sunday 6 October 2013

Back from my Holiday

Hello all,

I am back from my holiday with the family to Weymouth. It was a great trip and lovely to spend the holiday with my close family members. Whilst away I have still been doing my crafting and visited many local wool shops. 

The first I visited was on the way to Weymouth in Salisbury. It is a beautiful shop called 'Born to Knit'. The shelves are stack high with a lot of beautiful yarn. The shop itself encourages knitters and crocheters to use beautiful natural fibres. There is an excellent range of colours and different weighted yarn available  You can find Rowan, Debbie Bliss and Artesano wool here and many many more. Whatever your project is, you are bound to find gorgeous wool that will really add to it. I have brought some lovely Debbie Bliss cotton from here and have a new project in mind for this already. My brother, James Reed (who has a blog http://jreedguitar.wordpress.com/ by the way), lives in the area so I am sure to visit this shop again. I love the knitted bear present outside the shop. For all the products in this shop please look at their website http://www.borntoknit.co.uk/. The shop even offers one to one tuition, check out their page for more. I have included a picture of the shop below.

Once in Weymouth, I visited their local shop called 'Spin a Yarn' the website is http://www.spinayarnweymouth.co.uk/. This shop has a good range of Acrylic and some natural fibre yarn. The owner is nice and willing to give advice, if needed. Here I found chunky Wendy Cotton yarn, which I had not seen before. As you can guess, I have brought this and have a little project in mind.

The final shop that I had the opportunity to visit was 'Yarn' in Bridport. This is a spacious shop which has a vast range of yarns that are made up of natural and natural with a bit of acrylic fibres. It is a lovely shop to browse around and easy to navigate. They even have a comfortable sofa for the poor non-yarn addict to rest on, this was great as it gave me plenty more time to browse. They stock wool including Rico, Artesano, Rooster to name a few. I had never come across Rooster Almerino until I came to this shop and fell in love with it. It is so soft and the colour range is excellent. The shop owner knows when you want to be left to browse and when to offer advice and guidance. She seemed extremely knowledgeable and friendly.  I wish I lived nearer the shop but it is great to know that they have a website (http://bridportyarn.co.uk/) where I can order from. Also the owner has a friend who lives near Bedworth (my home) so maybe I can get my orders delivered by hand :p The wool I brought can be seen below 

I also browsed the charity shops and picked up a couple of knitting book. One covers Fair Isle knitting so I am hoping to get a few pointers from there and others were stitch guides for inspiration 

 I have now decided to be brave and knit my first jumper. This will be no ordinary jumper but a Christmas one :) I am a proud owner of Sue Stratford's latest book 'Merry Christmas Sweaters to Knit'. I tend to find that my arms do not quite fit regular jumpers, so hopefully if I make it myself, I can adapt the jumper slightly to make it fit. I will be blogging about this project regularly so you can keep up to date with my progress. 

Overall a busy holiday but very enjoyable :)

Until next time happy crafting 

Sarah 

www.facebook.com/knitsnotperfect
@knitsnotperfect
www.etsy.com/shop/knitsnotperfect


No comments:

Post a Comment