Sunday 21 June 2015

brioche knitting

Hello all,

I have officially finished my first brioche knitting project (yay).

My knitting buddy and I wanted to find a workshop to challenge our skills. Becky suggested brioche knitting and I thought this sounded great. However, when I arrived at the workshop I quickly realised that this was not a form of cake eating and knitting. 

Instead it is a form of knitting that creates a thick and stretch piece of material. It amused me too as it involves stitches called 'barks' and 'burp'. The bark or a 'brk' is a brioche knit stitch and a 'burp' or 'brp' is a brioche purl stitch. 

The work involves placing 'shawls' (or a yarn over) stitches which are then worked together to create the thickness. I think the best way to get a grasp of this is either have a very clever knitting friend or attend a workshop. I went to Hilda Haarhoff to learn this skill. It was an interesting session which included a free scarf pattern to take home. After some time, I found it fairly simple to pick up.

However, when I returned home I ended up in a right mess. I would recommend when you are starting to use a life line. This is a piece a yarn you thread through so if you make a mistake, you can pull your work back to a specific point. I had not done this and somehow lost my many stitches.........instead I resorted to my other life line 'Becky' to the repair the damage done. 

After knitting quietly with no distractions, I was able to finish my piece. I am quite happy with it and would like to wear it in the winter as it is an extremely warm accessory. 

The next piece of work on this would be to learn how to use 2 colours for brioche knitting. Becky has picked this up so maybe I can get some tips off her..........

I have just submitted another pattern for Inside Crochet so keep an eye out in September :)

I am currently working on another idea that I am dying to get back to 

Until next time

Happy crafting 

www.facebook.com/knitsnotperfect

@knitsnotperfect

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/sarah-reed

No comments:

Post a Comment