Friday 17 October 2014

Chunky Cable Slippers

Hello All,

I have returned from my holiday in the caravan and I can confirm that it was freezing at night. I was extremely grateful for my holiday socks but still felt that I needed something more for my little toes.

I had some wool in my stash that I should have used a long time ago to treat myself with but I never got around to using it. I decided that now was the time to treat myself.....and my poor freezing toes. 

One of the reasons for putting off this project was that it involved using cable knitting. This is creating a 3D pattern that you often see in aran knitting and it creates a lovely effect. This involves slipping some stitches onto a cable needle and placing them at either the front or back of the work. You then continue to knit a few stitches from origianl needle and then knit the stitches from the cable needle to create a raised effect. The pattern used was from Toft alpaca so check out their website if you would like to purchase a copy :)

The pattern was challenging as this was a new skill to me but I was pleased with the results. I have also learnt that by holding the stitches on the cable needle to the front of the work it makes the cable turn to the left whereas if the stitches are at the back it makes the cable turn to the right. 

I have used chunky yarn which means that my slippers are extra thick and my toes are lovely and warm. I have enjoyed doing a cable pattern so much that I have booked myself onto a course with Knit Nottingham. 

I have started work on another animal so I will show you all when it is completed :)

Until next time

Happy crafting

wwww.facebook.com/knitsnotperfect

@knitsnotperfect

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/sarah-reed

No comments:

Post a Comment