Wednesday 26 February 2014

Fair Isle Phobia

Hello all,

I am proud to announce that I no longer have 'Fair Isle Phobia'. Fair Isle knitting is a beautiful technique where you can use two colours in a row. This is either extremely therapeutic as you can see a colourful piece appearing before you own eyes or it can lead to you needing your husband to cut you out of your project :s.

As I realised I was in much need of new mittens and wanted to face this phobia head on, I decided to attend a workshop. I found a brilliant workshop at Guthrie and Ghani (www.guthrie-ghani.co.uk/‎) and instantly put my name now. This is cute shop located in Birmingham which has a lovely range of material and yarns. I consider this shop to be a sweet shop for the crafter.

The workshop was run by Sarah Hazell, who I deem as a saint. Even though the workshop had 2 tables full of fearful knitters, Sarah made you feel like you were the only person in the room. She was able to take the time you needed to calm you down and help you continue with your work. I loved her style and I would recommend doing a course with her if you get the chance.

By the end of the workshop, I had a completed mitten. I did not end up knotted in my work once and I can now knit with 2 different colours with two hands (Yes I a super knitter). I was so please that I completed the other one in the evening.

No longer to I quiver at the thought of Fair Isle. I am now happy to embrace it. So happy in fact I am the proud the owner Shetland wool. As a crafter your holidays are often orientated around where the craft shops are. I met my sister in Oxford and this is where I can across The Fibreworks in Oxford (www.thefibreworksoxford.co.uk/‎). There is a vast range of natural fibred yarns and every colour of the rainbow. This is where I got my yarn from. I was in there quite a length of time dreaming about what I could make with these yarns. The owner was friendly and chatty and helped me selected colours that complimented each other. This is a skill that I need to develop further. They appear to have a good range of workshops which if I lived nearer I would love to attend.

I visited York which is a crafters paradise. There is a crafters’ trail which takes you around the city to about 5 different craft shops. If you are into knitting, sewing or into beading you will not be disappointed. This is where I stumbled across Ramshambles. This is again a haven for knitters and crocheters. Here there was a brilliant range of Yorkshire yarns and I have fell in love with a magical sock yarn. This will apparently form stripes if I knit it up correctly. I am a bit of a sock phobic……..hhhhmmmmm Guthrie and Ghani do have a sock workshop in May………

No comments:

Post a Comment